Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Stitches!

Well, today was an exciting day! My aunt Mary came over to my parents house to help me go through some stuff and take things to the thrift store, which made me very happy! It was a drizzly day but not terribly rainy so we began loading the van. I was trying to load a box into the van when my foot slipped on the bumper. I threw my hand out to catch myself and attempted to continue loading when I noticed my hand was covered in blood! Woah! So I went inside to wash it off and saw that I had what looked like a little mouth on my thumb! In other words, it was a pretty deep puncture wound. I put pressure on it and closed the little mouth but didn't think it needed medical attention. Luckily, my aunt the EMT was there and said we should probably go to the doctor. Thanks Mary! So off to urgent care we went! Three stitches later, all's well!

Next came the dreaded dance of paperwork. Technically I am on the air force medical insurance plan but if I do not go to a medical facility on base, I'm supposed to call them before I leave the hospital. Well, I was never told who to call or how to contact them so I looked online... no help! I found a general number that I called a number, who connected me to a different number, who sent me to a different person, which was actually a voicemail! Zero help and, as usual, dealing with the military is much more difficult than it should be! Thank God my dad still kept my medica insurance so I just used that instead. Ugh! When I get back to Montana, I need to figure this out! But for now, I still have my thumb!

This just adds a fun new twist to the Oregon trail adventure coming up! We leave on Friday!

2 comments:

  1. OH no! All you need to do is call the our base med group. They should have been able to connect you to the right people since you're traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have done something wrong! I called the western area tricare number then the base med group who connected me to the referals desk where I left a message but they called back like 2 hours later saying I had called the wrong people. I looked on the website too and I couldnt figure out who to call. I even googled my PCM and it couldnt find him! I probably could have done more but I got frustrated :) so I gave up. Haha

    ReplyDelete