Sunday, May 26, 2013

Beatles

Well, tonight we are camping by Chimney Rock, a travel marker for those traveling the Oregon Trail. It looks like a giant pointer finger jutting out of the rock. We have had a VERY long day of travel and when we rolled into our campsite, late of course and after getting lost, we attempted to set up our tent by the headlights. I noticed it sounded like rain and Claire thought the same. Instead we discovered it was hundreds of giant beatles flying at the lights and smacking us as they went! That pretty much sums up the day. It was a fascinating day filled with over 15 historic landmarks but the end was not so pretty and, like the real Oregon trail, it was a little rough! But I will tell you all about that tomorrow when my cell phone has a charger! For now, I'll start at the end.

Due to the constant wind and lightening we thought we should try to sleep in the car instead of the tent ... big mistake. Did I mention the car is literally filled to the brim with crap? So we decided we should try to stick it out in the tent. Well, I went to move my smuggled case of beer back into the car when I dropped it a few inches (it's very hard to lift things  without a thumb! )well one popped open and I took it as a sign. When God opens you a beer, you don't say no! So we climbed back into the tent and after a long and tiring day it was nice to laugh at our silly situation and drink a not-so-cold one. So tonight we made the best out of where we are and everyday we appreciate more and more what the settlers went through to achieve their dreamsof living out west. Wow!

We will post lost of pictures and the full story tomorrow! All I can say is I have never looked forward to the morning so much! That means it's tomorrow and tomorrow night we get a nice bed! Oh well, at least for now we are dysentery and cholera free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment