Friday, May 24, 2013

Liberty, Missouri

Well, we made it as far as liberty today. We are about 30 minutes north of Independence, where the trail officially begins. Today was mostly about just getting through Iowa and getting close to the trailhead. Our goal is to hit a winery or brewery in every state so we did discover a beautiful winery just north of Ames called Prairie Moon. We sampled about 6 different wines FOR FREE and I was very pleased! Especially because one had a strong pineapple flavor and one was deliciously appley, I have not really been able to pick out flavors like that before so I was happy! We ended up buying a bottle for 11 bucks and creeping on a wedding that was happening. Terrific! Then it was off again!

Once we were south of Des Moines, Claire decided to try and find a geocache. (Google it if you don't know what that is! Its super fun!) However, this particular cache was located in a town that is probably the creepiest place I have ever been (see picture of Claire below). We pulled over, got out and realized the cache was located just next to the equally creepy local town bar where people were lounging outside on rusty picnic tables... we.quickly got back in the car. But, Claire was determined. So she found another one just down the road. We pull over and begin searching through the grass. I could not see the cache but I did look down to see a giant, blood sucking tick on my foot! I screamed and told Claire I was done! Was considered setting ourselves and the car on fire to burn the ticks out but, like the settlers before us, we forged on.

Southern Iowa is actually quite beautiful to my surprise. Lovely rolling hills, lush forests and beautiful green grass made it hard to believe we were in the same corn filled state that I have come to know! We made it through Iowa by rocking out to some cds I discovered from my high school days in the jetta (picture below) thank you to Jackie ans Hannah for the wonderful tunes! Once into Missouri, we decided to have a quick bite at a subway so we could continue on. Well, as we were in line, trying to decide between American and provolone cheese, Claire looked at me and froze. "Shhh, shhh, shhh. Its ok." She said while reaching toward my forehead, and promptly removed a tick from my forehead and flung it on the ground. It took every ounce of restraint I had not to strip right there and run. We finished ordering and tried to check for more, which did not go well. For the rest of the 2 hour drive, every hair movement, tickle, gentle breeze and itch would cause us both to panic and check. It was a long two hours. I would look over to see Claire inspecting her arm or head about every two seconds and I did the same.

We finally arrived at our beautiful bed and breakfast here in Liberty and I was very relieved to have a place to thoroughly check myself and my clothing. Even though I didn't find more, every feeling I have on my skin make me shiver. I may have to buy a brillo pad tomorrow and scape off a few layers of skin.

All in all, a pretty fun day! Tomorrow we make it to independence and Claire mentioned we may be taking a covered wagon ride through town! Hazzah! Stay tuned!

Ps- fun fact! Missouri has men on the side of the road made of road cones and barrels to warn you that road work is coming up! Coolest thing ever! I will try to get a picture of one before we leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment